About the OMS
Founded in 1949, the Oregon Mycological Society is dedicated to:
- studying, collecting and identifying fungi
- educating members and the public about fungi
- promoting health and safety in the gathering and consumption of fungi
OMS members share an interest in the study and identification of edible and non-edible mushrooms as well as other fungi-related pursuits such as cookery, cultivation, gardening and crafts. Fungi enthusiasts of all ages and skill levels are welcome to join.
Mycorrhizal fungi, forming symbiotic associations with plants. Caution advised when consuming chanterelles; lookalikes, such as the Jack-O-Lantern (Omphalotus olearius), can cause illness. Golden chanterelle is one of the most recognized edible fungi found in Asia, Europe, N. America & Australia.
OMS Scholarship Award Program for Graduate Students in Mycology
Contribute online to the new OMS Scholarship Fund!
Read about the 2013 OMS Scholarship Award recipients.
Edible or Poisonous?
There is no quick and easy test that will separate edible from poisonous mushrooms. Identify each and every mushroom you collect, and only eat those whose identification you are absolutely sure of. When in doubt, throw it out. Seek medical assistance immediately if you suspect mushroom poisoning of any kind.